PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2002, 11:47
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken from today's 'News in Brief' section of the Sunday Telegraph:

Hoon 'will not clear Chinook pilots'
Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, will this week reject calls to clear two pilots blamed for the crash of a Chinook helicopter in which 29 people died.

The ministry of Defence is to release a new simulation of the aircraft's last minutes before it crashed into the Mull of Kintyre in 1994, killing all crewmen and 25 senior RUC and MI5 intelligence officers.

Ministers claim that it proves the RAF was right to find the pilots, Flight Lieutenants Richard Cook and Michael Tapper guilty of "gross negligence". END

I hope the full details of the simulation will be made public and that a Chinook can actually fly within the suggested parameters this time (unlike the last simulation!).

I don't believe it proves anything. I think I recall someone describing to their Lordships that a simulation was a 'best guess'. Hardly enough for absolutely no doubt whatsoever, is it? What about all the other areas of doubt? Do the MoD and Ministers think we will forget about them? Well, we won't. Why has this particular simulation taken 8 years to come about? That proves negligence, Mr Hoon - your department's!

Announce your finding just before the Summer Recess, and run away. I'll be here upon your return, with many more questions that need answers.

We must not let the Govenment get away with this ever increasingly obvious cover up!

Keep up the good work everyone.
Regards, as always.
Brian
"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook