PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tough fight for EK in Canada
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2010, 00:41
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nolimitholdem

I'd really be interested in your credentials or perspective that even gives you a horse in this race, so to speak
Ermmmm not sure what I can say apart from I work in an aviation related industry (that has a strong safety ethos), have friends who work in the middle east, and am interested in the market in general.

So if my credentials aren't up to scratch perhaps you can tell me why Emirates is allowed to fly into Canada and the US and Europe. Or do those real organisations you mentioned not care.
BTW there are quite afew budget carriers whose crew might have something to say about the "swiss cheese lineup" when it comes to their hours and rosters. Again I see afew of them flying in the above airspace

Safety is DIRECTLY related to the regulatory regime under which an airline operates
I will agree with that quote if you mean that "you don't come up to our standard, you don't fly into our airports".
Both Emirates and Etihad seem to satisfy the above criteria from the previous mentioned bodies. Or are the FAA and Transport Canada taking backhanders to certify these airlines? Probably not.

The human rights violations, the appalling treatment of workers, the complete absence of workers ability to seek recourse under unjust labour practices, and on and on...these all trump your concerns by just a small bit.
Lets be honest...how many Canadian/UK/US etc consumers seem to worry about that with their "Made in China/Indonesia/Phillipines/Korea etc etc
goods. What makes the Airline industry any different? Price normally trumps any welfare/humane concerns. The business world would be a different place if it didn't.

I'm genuinely curious as to what your motivation is, as you obviously have zero appreciation of either Middle Easter airlines or life in the Middle East
My motivation? Not really motivation. Just pointing out that the airline industry is full of rank hypocrisy on all sides. I don't care if it is the Middle East, the far East or the Eastern seaboard. The industry should be about flying people where they want to go..be it from A to B to C either at a price they like or with a service they like. Why should the politics of a place enter into that decision?
It dosen't seem to when people fill their cars up every day with that other product that comes from the region.

You wouldn't be braying so loudly for an increase in the likes of Emirates if you actually worked for them or lived here
A lot of expats seem to want to go and work in the region. Why would that be? If it helps my "credentials" a lot of controller friends of mine are over there. It seems from reading various threads on this board aswell that others seem to be tempted by this great Satan called Emirates. Either they don't care about all the problems mentioned or it is not as bad as it seems, or it is bad but you have a job that you might not have back "home"

Unless you one of the privileged few of course, who manage to cream off the profits from the backs of their employees
And that happens only in the Middle East????? Wow!

judging from the comment about Israel
Yep I was tired and not thinking when I wrote that one. The point I was trying to make at the time was about route competition and what did Air Canada have to fear. They serve points direct into Europe (and Israel) and Emirates don't, you have to go "via"

Oh well....we'll see what happens.

BTW I had a quick look on Emirates timetables..and they seem to serve Paris/London and Frankfurt on a daily basis (often with multiple flights)
Now why would the regulatory bodies of those countries allow that if they are worried about all the points and criticisms levelled on the threads running on this topic. Or could it be they relish the competition?