PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wise words indeed!
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2010, 23:44
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoijane,

I am not in the military, but have worked in trying to provide them with the best kit ( in this case aircraft / weapons systems ) possible.

In answer to your point, yes I WOULD fight off any invading types with a rifle or whatever I could muster.

We Brits' are mature and unafraid to discuss failings, imagined or otherwise, but I doubt anyone posting here would seriously turn their back - Britain is still Great, we're just frustrated by hindrances which would largely disappear overnight in that sort of wartime ( unfortunately that's the services shooting themselves in the foot, they have a habit of winning despite being treated abominably by politicians ) - nothing new there.

I didn't like the sound of the budget ' front line forces will be protected ' going on to mention the NHS etc...

I am a great fan of the people who actually work at the sharp end of the NHS, the idea is a great credit to the country - even the Americans are only just getting used to the idea that saving people's lives without retiring to the Bahamas on the proceeds is a Good Thing; however, myself and friends having experienced our 'local' ( many miles away ) A & E hospital, I intend to instruct my doctors I would rather face a longer trip & chance it than go there.

For defence cuts, well in my crystal ball of enormous power I see one or two new aircraft carriers, with versatility for other navies already built in, being sold off pronto - remember it was the Tories who wanted to sell HMS Invincible before the Argentinians saved her !

As for the Trident replacement, well we all cringe at the cost but as cruise missiles can be shot down by various means, it still seems necessary.

I don't see any need at all though for 4 sets of missiles, don't think that's the idea.

Last edited by Double Zero; 28th Mar 2010 at 23:55.