PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2010, 16:28
iwalkedaway

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Part of the background to this present shambles is surely that for decades BA has been smothering its CC with praise, assuring them that they are the best in the world, the face of the airline, topline this, world-class that...and pandering accordingly to the ever-ratcheting demands made by the relevant unions. The truth is they have long since been overtaken, having lost sight of world-class standards in their own fog of self-congratulation.

I still like BA as a carrier, and feel a loyalty to them, but it has to be admitted that much of their fleet is now decidedly down-at-heel with a distinctly used look (I'm not too much of a gent to stop myself adding "just like a fair percentage of the cabin crews"), ESPECIALLY in contrast to the fresh, bright and shiny hardware, service and services offered by the Eastern upstarts - Singapore, Emirates, Etihad etc.

And when it comes to BA's sommeliers recommending some wine or other as being "truly exceptional" one is now as likely to add "price-wise", whereas the modern rivals genuinely have pushed the boat out and provide true quality. Once this damned strike is sealed and settled, and appropriate arses have been kicked all round, I hope there's sufficient left in the kitty for BA to update, uprate and climb back onto that dizzy tightrope where they once reigned pretty much supreme. Too optimistic? But a reality check is long overdue...and not just for BASSA and Unite.