PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool Fuel Charges / A Disgrace
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2010, 16:00
moonym20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to BPL a few times myself the most recent was during the summer last year.

ATC we very friendly, they allowed us to park on the tarmac near the fire hut. We were able to gain access land-side unmolested and all seemed to be going well. However when we came to return to the aircraft less than an hour later things started to get interesting.

We found ourselves going through 'security' in a little hut, in there were two security officers deep in conversation. I put my flight bag through the x-ray and wondered through the scanner which went off. The officer broke off his conversation to come and pat me down, he then noted the x-ray for my bag and removed my bottle of water (quite needed in a cockpit in the middle of summer) despite pointing to our ship which was literally parked outside their door my protest fell on deaf ears. The officer did however fail to notice my leatherman type device in the bottom of my bag . The gentleman who was flying with me was subject to similar scrutiny.

My previous visit was nearly 5 years ago. When we landed then we were placed on the grass (which seemed to be in okay condition then). we wondered across the apron and were accosted by a Special Branch officer, he politely asked to see my credentials and showed us how to get land-side. The same gent met us on our return and with a smile opened the door air-side to our aircraft and left us to walk across the ramp unaided & unmolested.

- I do miss those days

Needless to say BPL is a place we will try and avoid for now....