PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 28th Mar 2010, 15:10
cpt777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well , this has always been the story : the 20000hr/ 30 yr flying experience pilot complaining to the world about the old days.
Well put berefoot, it has always been. Seeing how the older chaps can hardly be satisfied with the young ones. Though I sensed some real sincerity and pointers highlighted by 310, whom I'm sure would be the lot of SIM instructors that the young blokes would be lucky to have.
We on the left seats must learn to adapt with times, to highlight according to the way that will work with the new generation. No point just lamenting about it while letting them "heads down" and never help to give them a slight pull. Like it or not, from this part of the world (Asia), the young guys are coming through this way, straight from prop equipment to most aviators' dream jets.
Interesting to note, through some feedback, a lot of times the older guys (be it local or expat) are the ones that are not so keen on allowing the disconnection of automation for fear of workload (or at least that's the general excuse given). To which I will always encourage the FOs not to give up just because of couple of rejections. If all the conditions are manageable, we should all make it a point to practice manual flying with the real thing; as much as we can, it's never enough when these days we have to manage automation 95% of the time.