PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Like driving a car
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2010, 13:16
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540 is right. There are a lot of pilots out there with poor currency, but they are not all PPLs. I've watched senior management pilots with thousands of hours balls up the simplest task because they spend too much time flying a desk and not enough time flying an aircraft. In fact some of them I wouldn't trust to fly my family despite all their time and qualifications. When I hopped the fence to desk and flying I was lucky enough to have my own aeroplane and the time to sharpen up some basic flying skills which had become horribly blunted by years of 2 crew and high tech.

During that phase I flew a lot with a PPL instructor friend, he gave me a piece of advice which I pass on to other pilots I work with and PPLs I fly with. As I drive away from the hangar I review the flight and what I have learned from it, if I feel I haven't learned anything then I've missed something, possibly quite serious, but most likely very minor, in which case I haven't been paying enough attention.

I've got 12 400 hours and a decade and a bit left working, I'm still learning, when a PPL gets his new license the real learning begins. Sadly often the learning stops quite quickly because he gives up. In the airlines line pilots hoover up information from all sources added to the fact that they fly a lot and so their theoretical knowledge expands exponentially. I'm a firm believer in PPLs sharing trips and using that time in a similar way, ie to learn from each other, and then debrief at the end of a trip and seriously examine how each other runs a flight, their cockpit management and individual knowledge. The £100 cup of coffee can then have a serious motive.

The only pilot allowed to fly my aeroplane apart from me is a 500 hr ppl, who is one of the best pilots I've ever watched, he and I often fly together and I enjoy his critiques of my flying and he takes my critiques of his with humour and good grace.