PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DSTV
Thread: DSTV
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2010, 05:34
Desert Dawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Spark189,

If you were in their DTH database, as a South African based customer (with a registered South African address) then yes, the card will be discontinued as of 31 May 2010.

@Bighaji

OSN has nothing to do with this. I have inside knowledge which I cannot reveal. But OSN cannot interfere with the Mnet footprint directly. It may be that OSN has requested Mnet to change to Ku Band (to negate the large footprint that C Band has over Ku Band and thus eliminate the footprint 'bleed' into the Middle East) but Mnet can/may/will refuse due to financial constraints in changing to Ku Band.

@ Halas

Ku Band (at this time) is the main broadcast platform for South Africa and Zimbabwe. All Zimbabwe customers will have to change their old C Band cards to Ku Band eventually. This was started many years ago (2000 if I recall correctly) but it was never really enforced due to the Ku footprint not reaching the northern areas of Zimbabwe. But, due to transponder re-positioning, the Ku footprint has been improved considerably and thus Mnet are now changing all Zimbabwe subscribers to Ku Band.

I re-iterate to all: changing from C Band for the rest of Africa will take millions of US dollars and will not be done overnight. If Mnet are indeed changing to Ku Band, then there will be shed-loads of chatter on all Mnet based chat forums about this impending change - long before it actually happens.

DSTV are still broadcasting to Africa on PAS7/10 and the footprint still reaches the Middle East.

Sun activity (when the sun, PAS 7 satellite and your dish are all aligned for a few minutes in the mornings) will affect your signal.