PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlantic Crossing & Ferry Flight Insurance
Old 27th Mar 2010, 20:25
A2B Ferry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantic Crossing & Ferry Flight Insurance

If you havent got sorted yet, try pik west insurance. They will cover it as a one off high risk policy. All the UK companies usually require at least 5 oceanic crossings before they will consider covering it. Remember you will need additional 25000 search and rescue cover for Iceland. I suggest reading the North Atlantic Ops manual. That will detail your requirements and you can download it for free. I guess some may class it as easy but if you get a bad forecast or arent really clued up on the weather systems then you could have a really bad day. The insurance companies require experience for good reason. We do these crossings on a regular basis so if you require any further free advice, please send me a pm. Also there is a requirement for HF radio which requires a 337 as a temporary install. Now generally going westbound it doesnt seem to be policed to the same degree as eastbound ferries. If routing further North where VHF coverage is assured for most of the route then HF is not a requirement. Without HF its not permissible to fly IFR through Gander controlled airspace and routing further north would be required unless you stayed below 5500ft and the chances of remaining in vmc would be slim, even in the summer.

Last edited by A2B Ferry; 27th Mar 2010 at 22:57.