PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Best Employers in Canada 2009
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 16:46
b737NGyyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westjet used to be a good place to work , it lost it's soul quite a few years ago..I've been there along time and it's time to pull the pin.
I think that is a little harsh. I too am a long time WestJetter and will certainly agree that the company has changed over the past 10+ years but to say it has lost it's soul is a little over the top.

Has the company changed over the last number of years? You bet it has. Some change has been good some not so good but in this business those who don't change and adapt soon die. To expect the company to be the same now with 7500 employees as it was with 500 isn't realistic. Our culture has changed with our growth for sure but our core values remain firmly intact and as corny as it sounds the "we succeed because I care" tagline describes how it works very succinctly.

There are few GOOD flying jobs in this country but I firmly believe that even with the warts (there are a few) a line pilot position as WestJet is well ranked among the best.

Some examples:
Max 16 days worked per month
No seniority for schedule or vacation bidding
Paid training that is included in your block
PORT initiative ongoing
All extra company assigned flying paid at O/T rates regardless of block hours
Good variety of destinations (64 destinations in 15 countries)
New folks have as good a chance of getting good overnights as a day 1 pilot
Excellent training and ongoing operational support from Flight Ops management

Apodz, good luck with your application I am sure you will not regret coming to WestJet.