PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 10:36
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finncapt

I can remember it being 5 Guilders 75 cents but I have recollections about 7 guiders something too...

At 2,20 Guilders for a Euro at the Euro introduction date that makes it 2.61 Euros for a pound as my last exact recollection, honest!

Currently it stands at 1.11 Euros so the depreciation is a factor 2.35 at a minimum.

You could be right regarding the Swiss Frank too at the some time, somewhere in the seventies the swiss had a pretty bad economic time, with their watch technology suddenly being outdated and others.

Genuinely I believe the pound has depreciated substantially towards most currencies and the power struggle in the UK as to whom has/had control in companies is, at the very least, a major major factor.

Beagle, this link:
Google Answers: Exchange Rates: Dutch Guilder & Pound Sterling - 1978 and last pre-Euro

suggests that in 1978 the rate was 4.04 guilders to the pound. That's 1.84 Euros for a pound or a factor of 1.65 in 32 years and I am referring to post war , say mid fifties. The tables of the Fed don't go back after 1971 but there I make the rate 8.64 (Guilder to Dollar = 3,60, Pound to Dollar =2,40). That's even worse than what I suggested...

Last edited by vanHorck; 27th Mar 2010 at 10:50.