PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 09:14
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank,

You confuse some of the sentiments on here with illogical CASA rulings.

It's only my personal take, but I cannot figure why restrictions are placed on perfectly airworthy aircraft from the RAA side of the house. I, for one, support access provided some basic provisions are met.

Years ago, I met a lovely bloke by the name of Eugene Reid and visited his operation north of Launy. All he wanted was access to the Launy zone, to get quick access to the south. He could have been separated from airfield activity by being south of the highway, which was no big deal (ATC confirmed this when I visited for a chat - I have to get a life on holidays). It could have been done safely with no detriment to other operations.

The blunt CASA ruling was that 'sports aircraft' could not fly in control zones..period. I think, but don't know, that the attitude is the same today. One size fits all.

I was totally impressed by Eugene's operation. He told me at the time that there was no way he'd ever operate without a radio or teach his students anything other than radio carriage and compliance. And he operated/operates trikes.

His summation was that if he was downwind at YDPO, there's no way he wouldn't be listening out and transmitting. He had no desire to be run over by a Dash-8 in the same piece of airspace downwind.

I still don't see a single piece of solid evidence that supports the exclusion of RAA aircraft from controlled airspace, provided they can communicate and are visible within the system.

Just my take.