PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Height and/or Weight Issues
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2001, 23:26
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 224 Likes on 86 Posts
Avenger - I take issue:

"But.. As a new starter overall appearence is seen as a reflection of attitude and self control and rightly or wrongly,this does make a difference."

So how would being overweight be a negative reflection of attitude and self control? Would being spotty, having bad teeth or breath be similarly be seen as lacking self control? What about a poorly ironed shirt or shoes not bearing a smart shine? What about smoking or recreatonal drug use?

"however, it's times like the wet drills when a few extra kilos makes getting in the raft a bit of a problem. Like all things, if you can avoid the problem do so."

Yeah and all the thin smokers who will be gasping and hacking for breath in the event of a cold sea ditching will be long dead whilst their chubbier colleagues are protected by their insulation and energy reserves.

It is my view that BA would be FAR FAR better advised to focus on recreational drug use by its recruits than on idealised weight/image issues.

It really is the issue that everyone would rather not talk about but probably majority of those entering airline pilot training have used recreatonal drugs. I personally have witnessed some continue to do so whilst under sponsored training. I see no likelihood that they would stop upon subsequent graduation...

I think a far more relevant and legally defensible clause in the BA or other airline selection would be a requirement to pass a stringent anti-drugs screening both before acceptance and during training. Compared to this the fact that you might be fat, ugly, smelly or heaven forfend Welsh pales into insignificance...

Cheers,