PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C.17 TO-NIGHT CHANNEL 4 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 20:20
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just tried to watch this programme. I say that, as I am not sure if I have watched the same programme as other posters did. The one I saw had a member of the aircrew talking about the soldiers in the back of the aircraft. IMHO, and partly looking through my counsellors eyes, I saw a man who was hugely moved by the courage, fatalism and plight of troops on the ground. He was displaying amazement at their ability to cope in combat and afterwards, and to succeed with limited life experiences prior to Afghanistan!

This does not seem to fit in with some other posters idea on his assessment of their backgrounds, whereas to me, it was in order to emphasize his respect and admiration for them.

Oh, the crew ate food too, which is just as well, as I would not want any aircrew to be over tired through lack of hot food or liquid. I mean this seriously, as Coming from a green background, I realise just how important the cargo on these trips are (a fact observed by the crew too)

Overall, an excellent programme which moved me a great deal. I have no idea if it is because I am getting old, or because I have two sons of similar age to the soldiers, but I just don't see the conflict as being worth the suffering it is causing. These soldier look like young boys to me*, and I do not want them to be put in harms way in my name, or to bolster any politicians aims. I have no idea if I am right or wrong on that call, and also know that I would have seen it differently while I was still in uniform too.

*They look like young boys, but their eyes give away a rapid ageing and maturing process brought on by combat. These are men in boys bodies, but men all the same, and I am always inspired at their determination and selfless attitudes.

Being a cold war dinosaur, I also did not fully understand the employment status of the medical team, and thought they were NHS as the programme suggested. Can someone please enlighten me about this superb team.