PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC130 Corner
Thread: EC130 Corner
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 20:02
victor papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned 1 thing with the 130-don't believe everything you hear about her especially the post 2005 ones! My advise is to study her, get to know her and then go to fly her. Do not expect a B3+ as she is not a B3 and handles and responds differently despite having the same engine and drivetrain(except tail) + dual hydraulics. Once you understand and know her dynamics and get comfortable with her as a machine with her own place in life you will be shocked at what she can do. Remember that she has a massive rotor rpm variance for noise and performance determined by your fenestron pedal position. You fly her wrong you can be as much as 15rrpm too low or too high and all should understand the impact on lift and thus power which leads to a lot of myths in my opinion around her performance. I know the B2 and B3 along with many other types and the one which demands respect is the 130. Maybe because it is not her reputation to be able to work/take heavy loads/be utility. She does not look like a workhorse. If you allow yourselve however you will soon learn her capabilities is surprising. Been there and did the 42 degree thing, 4600ft, 3 crew, 141kg patient and flew 2 hrs to the nearest hospital without hitting the top of the yellow range. She enters the yellow range quickly but then it feels like that Arriel is telling you "eventually I can work a bit". Pls, i am not contesting graphs and safety, just trying to say go fly her and fly her as a 130 and not a B3/407/B2 or anything else and you will be surprised I am sure.

Maintenance on her is a non event. That fenestron makes her lower maintenance than the 350 and you score dual hydraulics. In my experience if you know what to look for like the Squirrel you have ample warning in most cases to do preventative maintenance. The fenestron is on a 1000hr check.