PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doctor to Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 18:11
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a 28 year old doctor and have always dreamed of being an airline pilot
Hmm. That took you a while to think of actually going for it. And that's in country that's God's gift to humankind for various GA flying.
People who're not sure what to do if dreams are not viable, go for business studies

Sure, go do your PPL, see how you like it. As some said, there's more to flying professionally than jet job.

At least you don't need an advice to get at least something of a trade qualification if not undergraduate degree to have a job/career to fall back on.
One good thing - your current income greatly helps in funding training.
Some of us have to scrape savings over years sacrificing personal life and best years. No hard feelings, just a fact.

If you give up on your medical work, I'd say it's hell of a waste of government money. Even the HECs don't really cover all the expense I presume.

If you love flying, take intro flight in helicopter. Compare that to airplane.
It ain't easy getting there, but the roster for heli flying tends to be nicer unless you fancy 6wk on/6off etc for tour jobs in far away places in Asia or Africa.

I love them all, glider, helicopters, planes, will do gyros later on, too.

OTOH, you'd be hell of a catch for impressionable/gold-digger ladies. "Hi, I'm a doctor. Ehrm, I left practice to work as airline pilot these days".. Hmm. Even my cooking and baking skills coupled with heli and airplane flying can't compare.

Have fun. Training can be stressful if you can't get past certain exercise for a while, checkrides/skills test, but it's great mastering the machine and feel connected to it (at least in heli).