PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doctor to Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 17:59
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few more thoughts

Our airline has two previous medical doctors who left their practice to become airline pilots. One is now retired the other still active. I hear they are exceptional to share the flight deck with. Both were happy with their decisions.

You DO NOT need to be an airline pilot to fly like a professional. There is always a need for exceptional instructors who are masters of their trade. You could instruct on the side.

You are probably in a position to purchase your own (or share) aircraft. You could satifsy your desire to fly by flying your own airplane. Being paid by somebody else to move the jet from point A to point B is really doing a similar thing with many more constraints.

Sure the economy is bad now. It was also poor back in the late 70s when I did my training. I doubt it will remain this poor for the rest of our working lives. Training now is not necessarily a bad thing. If the industry turns around you have your ratings. Plus with a depressed economy you may be able to negotiate on training costs.

With your ratings perhaps you could talk some corporate operator flying jets to take you on as a part time first officer. How about part time work for an air ambulence company? With your education and background you would be a strong addition to many different types of flight operations without giving up your medical practice.

The pay cut will be BRUTAL, you may never recover. Being gone half the time soon becomes old, in spite of the fancy jet........

I like what I do. I get great satisfaction from my job. I would not want to be stuck on the ground doing similar things everyday. But if I could match the money I would give serious thought to waking away. It gets old - doesn't everything??

Like the title said, few more thoughts ..... not trying to lobby for a perticular decision.

Wish you the best whatever you decide.