PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 26th Mar 2010, 16:02
FlexSRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bacabincrew
However the Union have still said put that offer back on the table and let the membership decide, Mr Walsh refused
At the risk of banging my head against a brick wall here, but why should Mr Walsh put the offer back on the table?

He offered the initial deal to the Union, he reluctantly agreed with the Unite Gen Sec that he would extend the strike mandate for another 23 days, so that Unite could ballot the crew on the offer, and made it clear that if they did go on strike, the offer would be off the table, and any new offers would be worse, to recover the costs. I don't think you can say any fairer than that, can you "bacabincrew"?

Now, what happened next? Well, Len McClueless went and announced the strike dates anyway, and said they couldn't recommend the offer, despite his boss securing the 23 days to ballot the members!

There are several reasons why this happened.

1) If the offer had been sent out to the cabin crew, they would have probably voted overwhelmingly for it. This would make BASSA look like total idiots. Crew voting for a deal that was worse than the June offer, which at one point even included no New Fleet. Crew voting in favour of their employer and against the Union? It would have made the whole year of Bassa foot-stamping look as pointless as it actually turned out to be.

2) It made Len McClueless look like the hard-man of Unite, which helps with his election. After all, he does have to think of himself.

Were Len and Gen Sec even talking to each other?! I doubt it.

Why should Mr Walsh make them the same offer again, when they just threw it back in his face last time? It's not Mr Walsh's fault that the Gen Sec and Len McClueless are pulling in totally different directions. If you want someone to blame for the offer being off the table, its Red Len, not Mr Walsh.

When all the dirty washing is aired after this dispute is over, I hope crew take the time to learn how badly represented they were.

As has been pointed out, some people are already getting an idea of the lies coming out of BASSA. (as if they needed any more evidence!) Crew sitting in the CRC during the last strike, which was getting so busy at one point with the amount of EF crew on standby they were moving people for fire regs, were getting texts saying only 9 or 26 crew had reported. (depending on if you believe Unite or Bassa) This was a beautiful and clear illustration of the constant stream of lies and spin coming out of Basaa, and I hope those crew will now take the rest of it with more than a pinch of salt.