PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 26th Mar 2010, 15:58
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BACabinCrew,

Don't take the cross-examination as a personal attack - we need more of the pro-strike viewpoint on here to enable a full debate to take place.

However,

Your answer to the first question doesn't really hold much water if my recollection of events is correct. Please do tell me if I'm recalling things incorrectly.

BA set a deadline of the end of June 2009 for all staff groups to implement across the board permanent (not temporary as Unite are currently offering) savings.

BASSA, notably, and therefore IFCE, did not meet this deadline.

At one of the racecourse meetings (I don't recall if it were Sandown or Kempton) a show of hands established that the membership did not wish BASSA to negotiate any further with BA.

Despite this, some time elapsed during which small attempts were made by both sides to redeem the situation.

This being unsuccessful, in Nov, non-contractual terms (now legally verified unless subsequent, and yet to be announced appeal, deems otherwise) were introduced for the cabin crew.

A number of failed injunctions and court hearings later we find ourselves here.

Would you agree that's a reasonable summation of the chronology of events thus far? If so, can I suggest that your answer that you're striking about imposition and a lack of negotiation by WW was brought on by that very sub-branch of Unite with the show of hands insisting on no more negotiation?

I.e. The lack of negotiation as an industrial standpoint began with BASSA's vote (I believe their constitution allows for motions to be passed at branch meetings even if the attendance does not reflect a quorum of the membership).

Perhaps, may I suggest, it would do both sides some good to cast their minds back a little further than the last BA e-mail or BASSA newsletter and reflect on the belligerence in summer last year that, I suspect, was born solely of a belief that saying no would eventually force BA into a fudge compromise. That it hasn't and that Unite are now reduced to family fun days and open top bus rides, coupled with almost wretched pleadings for the offers to be put back on the table suggests that they fatally misjudged the opponent this time.

To me the seed of the potential problem in front of BASSA lies in that show of hands nearly a year ago demanding no more negotiation with BA and not realising the potential consequences of such a brave, but ill-considered move.