PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 26th Mar 2010, 15:49
cotswoldchap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bacabincrew

bacabincrew,

thanks for posting, I'm genuinely interested to hear the view point from someone who is clearly a supporter of the action that is taking place at the minute.

May i ask a few questions?

"Why are you on strike? Because of the imposition without negotiation of Mr Walsh"

Do you find it at all strange that the other sections of BA agreed changed, within the time scale requested through negotiation? Do you accept that other sections of BA have made sacrifices and if so, perhaps you can just explain why you feel that cabin crew shouldn't? Finally, and this is the question I'm really intrigued about; The other trade unions and professional bodies took BA's unprecedented offer to have the company "books" examined to check the savings being requested were just and honest. All of the various bodies, independently and without reference to each other came to the conclusion that the company was correct and savings needed to be made. BASSA refused to look at the books. Do you think that not even looking at the figures was in the best interests of the members they represent? Genuine question and I'm interested to hear your take on it.

"Why they are asking WW to put last week's offer back on the table? So the members can themselves decide"

The offer that BA made to BASSA was refused with a 14 page document explaining that it was totally unacceptable. Never the less, it was suggested, and agreed, that the offer be made available to crew to vote if they felt it was acceptable. The condition agreed with this offer was that the strike was delayed until the union balloted the members. The strike dates were immediately then announced with the obvious massive financial loss due to forward bookings lost thus removing the offer from the table as these costs had to be recovered. Again I suppose the question I am interested in is, do you think this was in your/the members best interests?

If the offer was so awful last week it was rejected what has changed? I don't understand your question - the Union asked for Walsh's offer to be put back on the table and he refused

I suppose this point is probably covered in the point above. If the question isn't clear just post back and I'll try to reword it.

bacrew, and others, please take this post in the manner it is intended. Not combative or intended to rile, but a genuine interest in hearing justification for what is happening.