PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 15:46
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that in every aircraft I have flown I do not have an accurate or RELIABLE way of knowing how much fuel I have in the tanks? Im not talking about fuel planning, but how has technology moved on so far and left fuel gauges in the past.

I say "fuel sufficient" only because I know that I am flying around with 4/5 times more fuel than I actually need because the gauges cannot be used and no matter how well you try and calculate fuel burn, the actual will always be different.

Put a fuel gauge in aircraft that works and I can use please.
They exist but cost a lot of money. For less, you can install a fuel totaliser (flowmeter) e.g. Shadin or JPI and forget the gauges...

GA aircraft electrics are not yet at the 1972 Vauxhall Viva stage, for the most part.

must have been a serious bout of bad weather in the UK!
You are not wrong

Mind you, today I did some ILS receiver testing... very satisfying to compare the tracking with a GPS in the OBS mode, set to 0.3nm FSD
Ignorant management at airports who choose not to answer e-mails.
Or faxes, or they hang up when they hear you speak English. Or airports whose published GA contact # is the passenger flight hotline ....

TBH, emails are not the method of choice for reliable comms anyway. The majority of published emails don't work for businesses generally, not just airports.