PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 14:15
PaddyMiguel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASSA vs UNITE

Originally Posted by TruBlu123
Munneyspinner - I doubt if WW has Unite in his sights. After all many thousands of non striking staff are members of that union. Furthermore he has already offered Unite bargaining rights for New Fleet. Hardly the actions of someone hellbent on breaking the union. That said I wonder what his and indeed Woodley's thoughts are on BASSA. Probably not worth repeating.....
WW may not have Unite in his sights but the crosshairs are firmly focused on BASSA. This strike is similar to the 1997 dispute when BA wanted £42m savings from Cabin Services and BASSA resisted having new entrants on lower starting rates. Ayling and Street caved in, reinstated strikers, restored ST and new entrants joined ...... on lower salaries.

The biggest savings for BA come in radical reform of the various scheduling agreements and allowances, the so-called Spanish practices. By crippling or sweeping BASSA away, WW and IFCE will have an opportunity to negotiate with reasonable CC reps a new agreement which will be both fair and workable. It may well be called New Fleet but the precedent of having crew on different pay scales working alongside each other has already been set.

Last edited by PaddyMiguel; 26th Mar 2010 at 14:29. Reason: Grammar, punctuation and spelling. See me afterwards