PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 things that annoy you in aviation.
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 08:23
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things that annoy me in aviation:

1) Know-alls who hang around pilots' internet forums havering tosh. See point 2).

2) As someone mentioned above, people who think everyone should fly their way, i.e. everyone should use this method of navigation, everyone should fly this aircraft, everyone should do this, that, whatever. Pish. I'll fly the way I want, i.e. the way I was taught, as long as it is entirely safe, legal, sensible and doesn't cause any hassle to others. You do the same.

3) People who arrive near busy CAS/airports without a clue of local procedures and expect everyone to bow to their wishes. GPS junkies (not all GPS users, rather the magenta-line-followers who don't have a clue how to use it properly and end up staring at the display all day) are sometimes bad at this, requesting direct transits that take them through ILSs, approach paths etc., completely ignoring VRPs, lanes etc. Causes ATC endless hassle. Check procedures before you go and follow them, so that you don't get the controller distracted from directing several 757s on the approach around about you whilst you err and emm on the radio as you faff about asking for a silly transit that you won't get.

4) People who complain about aircraft noise. Easy remedies for that... Stick earplugs in. Go and listen to music. Put the washing machine on. Switch on the hoover. Or bugger off and live somewhere else where you can mump and whinge for the rest of your miserable sodding life to some other poor sod.

5) The green movement, which has a considerable chip on their shoulder against our hobby/career. Fack off and leave us alone.

6) The government, which has a considerable chip on their shoulder against our hobby/career. Solution as per that of point 5).

7) Folks who continually ask how much it costs to fly.

Picture scene if you will; talking to colleague at work, old friends I haven't seen for a while, chatting up bird in nightclub, whatever.

"So what hobbies do you have then?"
"Oh, I'm a pilot."
"Really? How much does that cost then?"

What does it matter to anyone else how I spend my meagre wages? Without fail the first question uttered when the "P" word is mentioned.

Rant levers to idle.

Smithy