PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 26th Mar 2010, 06:52
ace from space

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archangel7
for such a sophisticated aircraft like that to suddenly lose control on take off with 2 highly experienced pilots for no apparent reason makes no sense. Even if they where conducting EFATO drills this shouldnt happen. The Brasilia has gauranteed performance with one engine on T/O... Obviously Something terribly went wrong.This could not be pilot error. Without a doubt, mechanical failure!!! To me it sounds like the malfunction of the engine propeller control unit and this would allowed the propeller blade angles to go below the flight idle position if they where conducting EFATO drills. I am sure there are many other factors contributing to the accident as all accident have a chain of events to lead up to it.
like i said, its only my opinion and its not a big issue! :P i guess it is easier to just point the finger at the dead pilots and say it was "human error" . That would make me less arrogant and close minded i guess. I personally believe it is a mechanical error and you can call me as narrow minded and as arrogant as you want it will not change my opinion. But a high-speed crash on take-off points the finger more towards a mechanical error then human error. Do some research on Brasilia fatal crashes and you will discover that 90% of them are mechanical errors!. they vary from propeller going into reverse thrust on final approach, failure of the horizontal stabilizer and there was another interesting one which i read up on the other day where the propeller separated from the engine assembly and became imbedded in the leading edge of the wing and the pilot was committed to make a forced landing into a paddock killing 18 passengers. do some research and see for your self. I don’t think I am being closed minded at all.
Dude, you are persistent about this...
No one is saying that it is pilot error or a mistake by the crew, but you can’t definitively rule it out by making a big assumption like that.
Recommended reading ‘crash comics’ vol 1-3 (or otherwise known as Airline Disasters by Macarthur Job)
For me personally, I have a very healthy respect for the V1 cut, after experiencing an experienced colleague/sim partner losing control and crashing the sim during this exercise. A good learning experience that we got to walk away from as it was in a sim not the real a/c.

Background info for you.
Although you attribute some of the earlier Brasilia fatal accidents to mechanical failure, several of the earlier prop or prop governor related crashes were before the electrically activated ‘FI stop solenoid’ was fitted. Why was it fitted you may care to ask?
Because it was determined that relatively inexperienced crews on the type were pulling the power levers (particularly when hot and high) back over the mechanical stop, either advertently or inadvertently with disastrous consequences. To my knowledge no further related hull losses have occurred since this mod was carried out.

Last edited by ace from space; 26th Mar 2010 at 11:10.