PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - were any big radials reliable
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 06:32
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I recall my first start in a Sea Fury. All I had to go on was the Pilots Notes and a Sub Lieutenant standing on the wing telling me what to do. After doing whatever I was supposed to do, I pressed the start button which activated a cartridge and a big whoosh and lots of smoke happened and the prop spun a few times and stopped. A naval airmen jumped like Tarzan on to the starboard wing via the wheel (an Olympic feat if ever I saw one) and with a large rubber mallet bashed the side of the engine cowl a few inches from my face. Apparently that freed up a solenoid or somefink.

Went through the same process and selected another cartridge but same result with lots of sooty smoke which impinged on the Sub Lieut perched on the port wing root giving me "advice". Prop spun and lots more smoke but still the engine did not start.

"What the f..k is wrong now" said the chap bending over into the cockpit? I looked around and saw the magneto switch was still off. Said sorry, Sir, but mag switch was off. Chap bending over cockpit mightily unimpressed and gave me the death glare. Snobbish type. Probably because I was a RAAF Sergeant Pilot instead of a Navy pilot.

Selected third cartridge and mag switch to on and tried again. The engine started this time and the prop slipstream nearly blew the Sub Lieutenant off the wing. He walked away in disgust. Nice aircraft to fly though - although the landing was a shocker.