PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 26th Mar 2010, 02:50
Josh Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Harry,

On landing, I have never needed to use beta, i.e. a clear demonstration to me of how little power, if any is being produced at FI, with the power lever/s at the gate.

Which I believe ties in with my opinion that with one engine at FI and the other at max pwr, inflight, is pretty much the worst drag situation you can find yourself in, excluding a ceased prop, which I've not experienced or seen.

It would appear from Baron Beeza's link that, the braz for example will pitch lock at a lower pitch than it was at when a EFATO occurs, IMHO theoritically a better scenario than FI with power lever at the gate.

I have not flown a turbine twin that will not climb on one engine with the other at flight idle and power lever at the gate, so to me this further disproves FGD's earlier statement.

Plus the braz pilots I've met are of the opinion that the braz, for example, with correct technique will easily fly away with 2 pob on one engine, with the other engine at FI.

Whilst failing engines inflight can be a dangerous procedure, it can be done relatively safely, but it is certainly not wish out risk, smoking hole in the end of the runway type of risk, have never heard of someone losing their life in a sim.

Last edited by Josh Cox; 26th Mar 2010 at 04:09. Reason: spelling