PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 25th Mar 2010, 23:47
Fred Gassit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most turboprops whilst on the ground with FI selected are off and running, certainly way too much thrust for a controllable taxi, also consider landing when idle is not trimmed as low as it should be, easy to float clear over the horizon.

They generate significant thrust at idle although the prop is generally on the fine stop i.e. ungoverned, I wouldn't think (but don't know) at Vmca type speeds that there would be as significant a windmillling effect although we are cautioned on most types I've operated to use zero thrust settings and not FI.

The prop in question is likely to be a double acting mechanism (again I don't know for sure) meaning it is feathered by an autofeather system (inoperative if a power lever is retarded) and in the case of loss of oil pressure the hub will lock the propeller blades at the existing angle until, either piston oil pressure is restored or the auxiliary feather pump is operated (manual fx or condition lever)

So a windmilling propeller is a real possibility in these scenarios, and it is on the drivers to recognise and feather where required (as soon as positive control and rate of climb are established).