PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Log Book Forgery
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2010, 19:37
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An airline in Asia has the crew record instrument time (actual) for all of their IFR flights (which is every flight they do) except for about 10 minutes to allow for ground time. Every member of the crew logs this time, even the off-duty crew. So if the airplane was to fly Korea-JFK for 15 hours with a heavy crew of four pilots, there would be a total of 60 hours recorded, even if the airplane did not come close to a cloud the entire way. The crews would all get p1ssed at me when I would strike that out of the master airplane log and write in the actual instrument time (often zero). They still do it of course.

An electronic logbook is hard to start, since you often have a lot of flights to record but once up and running you don't have to worry about the totals. And finding out how many hours, landings or flights you have made on a multi engine amphibious biplane is as simple as clicking a button.

In the US you can be prosecuted even as a passenger after an accident or incident, if you are in the front seat and so much as touch the controls. Even if when you touched them was a couple of hours before the incident.

Also in the US I see students who do not yet have a licence logging PIC time when they are dual (they log both).

The logging of flight time is regulated in most countries but not in the US. It is not necessary to have a log book, any method of record-keeping is acceptable and you don't have to record any time except that needed to meet a requirement. They mainly go by what you put on your medical each 6 month/year/5 yr. And of course that is just a guess!

So if you are competing for a job at Emirates/Korean with a chap from the US, forgetaboutit. He will always trump your numbers.

(I hold US and Aus licences and have used them, as well as others, so I know the drill).