PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA-5A, GY-80, S.205, SA.202 or what else?
Old 25th Mar 2010, 17:29
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by whiterock
Anton K

First and foremost, buy the best you can with the money available. There are plenty of owners who buy a "cheap" aeroplane and then find huge costs in fighting corrosion and replacing "worn out" components. The engine components of your choice are easily sourced - the problems will be with the hull.
A hugely valuable piece of advice. My experience is first time buyers underestimate actual ownership cost. Furthermore for smaller aircraft the cost of significant upgrades form such a significant part of the total costs that you will never come close to recouping your money. An obvious example would be avionics. Say you buy your 25 K GBP tourer. The radios will likely be original and not suitable for IFR flight. A full re equip of the panel would probably require another 25 K . There is no way the plane is now worth 50 K.

Bottom line: buy the very best example of an airplane within your price range.

That means good paint and clean interior, working modern radios and an engine with ample time remaining to overhaul .....and most important of all
a complete documented maintainance history by a reputable shop.

In the long run this will give you the most cost effective and pleasurable ownership experience. It has worked for me and I am on my 5th airplane.