PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good flight training at Bankstown
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2010, 13:36
Flying Kites

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good flight training at Bankstown

G'day gentlemen

Long time reader, first time poster. Please bear with me!

I'm 22 and currently working full-time in another field. I'm wanting to have a go at starting from scratch and going for a GFPT and would like to seek some second opinions on good flight training providers around Bankstown Airport. As I essentially live up the road from the airport, I've done the rounds there to various places and made enquiries, and still yet undecided.

Basically, I'm preferrably after a small and experienced outfit with dedicated instructors. Something about big flying schools and casual instructors I don't feel would provide me the quality I'm after. I've stopped by at Basair and Proflite and I just got that impression, but have also stopped at other joints like Schofields and Whitworth on the otherside of the airport, and the latter seemed to suit me, though I'm not sure what to choose between, Schofields had a pretty friendly social atmosphere to it.

Also, I'm well aware of how much this will hurt the bank balance, but I've waited since high school to do this so now's my chance. Would anyone be able to give me a decent ballpark figure on how much I'm looking at to get to the GFPT level? I wouldn't mind over the next few weeks just building up on things I need like the Theory Books, and headsets and stuff before I actually jump into a plane.

Finally, what's the best BAK/SPL theory books you blokes can recommend? Stopping by Concept Supplies, I noted the red student pilot kits going for $150, and wondered if they were worth it, compared to other 'complete' student kits on sale going for $95.

I want to make the most of this, and have desires in future to one day a career out of it, if I become disenchanted with my current career path

Thanks fellas!