PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 25th Mar 2010, 12:41
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On windmilling again. Apologies to all if this subthread is getting tiresome.

AerocatS2A, thank you for the dramatic and interesting post. Hugh Jarse, thank you too for the further clarification. t303, thank you for the detailed account of an EMB-120 simulated EFATO.

I am still incredulous that any twin can climb with one prop windmilling.

AerocatS2A and Hugh, I concede that you have given credible accounts of this occurence in the DHC8 simulator.

But, 400 RPM (stated by AerocatS2A) for a windmilling prop sounds a little too low. This value leads me to suspect that there is some form of lock in the propeller - to prevent the fine pitch angles that give the high windmilling RPM and consequent enormous drag.

Is there such a lock? Does it operate at all times the aircraft is airborne? Is takeoff permitted with it unserviceable?

If there is such a lock, then we have different ideas of what "windmilling" means.

t303, your account refers to simulating the engine failure by setting flight-idle. Flight-idle is not the same as windmilling. This is twice now that I have called you on this.

ace from space also said flight-idle for the engine failure simulation on the EMB-120. His was an interesting account and revealed that the aircraft was virtually out of control. How would it have gone if the prop was windmilling?