PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 25th Mar 2010, 12:07
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shagrat

A quote often attributed to PT Barnum (however not verified) is:

"all publicity is good publicity".

I'm concious of the number of posts you have made before starting this thread, initially I thought it may be someone with a vested interest in the scheme attempting to highlight it in the hope there would be at least a few fATPL'ers out there who were unaware of the course and get some traffic to their website despite the predominately negative posts that would follow questioning your morals and cancerous nature of these initiatives.

Upon reflection I am more inclined to think that at fATPL level yourself you must have been exposed to and informed of PPRuNe either before you started on your training or at the very least during it. Your comments in the larger bolder font show that you have certainly reviewed many threads debating the P2F issue on here. Also, I find it hard to believe you waited till this fork in the road of your career before having the urge to post for the first time.

This would lead me to believe you have created a secondary username to ensure you disassociate yourself from the one you've used up to now on here. To be honest I understand this as nobody wants extra drama in their lives and this subject is very emotive.

I may be incorrect with this theory, if I am I apologise and offer my take below.

I think what magicmick wrote is a reasoned response to your quandry, he has the benefit of a well paid job with an airside pass in aviation so can still keep his ear to the ground. He has the itch despite being financially secure so I can only imagine that you may not feel that you can hold off until the market picks up to the extent that all the experienced redundant pilots are rehired, then those with TR's and minimum hours on type and so on down the chain.

I do not know you age or what you did before aviation, if you could walk back into your old job to keep the wolf from the door. You may be one of many looking for something in an economic downturn with over 2m unemployed and taking a decision to shell out approximately 1 years salary as a FO to attain a TR and however many hours may be something you'd pay credence to. After your hours there are no guarantees and even if you got one in writing it would have a disclaimer no doubt.

I personally think paying a commercial company on a revenue generating endeavour to take you along is a cancer in our industry that hasn't been stamped out due to a multitude of reasons discussed at length on other threads, however listing them here not adding to the specific questions you raised.

You may feel that in 10 years time, how you got your first foot on the ladder in 2010 may be forgotten by your peers. I would say there is a good chance you and I will be working in an industry that will have changed considerably and by pursing this course you may have added an extra straw to the camels of that decline 10 years before. If you have created a new username to facilitate this debate then surely your own embarrassment should tell you something going forward.

Another quote often used is "sh!t sticks"