PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Sponsored A320 Type Rating & Line Training - J Curd
Old 25th Mar 2010, 09:59
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Shagrat

Hi, I’ll be as neutral as I can here as the whole PTF debate seems to be very divisive and generates passionate responses from many. There is no doubt that any PTF scheme is an immense gamble and there is a very old (and very true) saying that says ‘never gamble what you can’t afford to lose’ so if you have the money for the course and to support yourself (food/ accom etc) during the course then by all means consider it as an option. Please don’t take out a loan for the money, you probably won’t get an unsecured loan from any reputable lender and if you do default on a loan from the type of people that would let you have the money unsecured then you’ll probably end up ‘sleeping with the fishes.’

There were a couple of guys that have posted on PPRUNE in the past using the names ‘kangy’ and ‘EpsilonVaz’ they both did the J Curd course through EZY and seemed very satisfied. They were both called back for 6 month paid contracts during Summer 2008 but I do not know what happened to them after that, maybe a PM to them might get some more information.

While you have been seeking information you have heard from employed FOs who feel that PTFs are lowering their terms and conditions and are threatening their jobs and the industry. I’m sure that there are many Captains who have seen good FOs laid off and replaced by a succession of PTFs so some flight crew will be heavily biased against PTF and if you do the course you will have to work and fly with these people. One would hope that these people would be professional enough to leave their prejudice at home but they’re only human and they may make life difficult for you when you’re flying so you will have to develop a thick skin very rapidly.

My own view on PTF has mellowed over the past couple of years, I finished modular MEIR in April 2008 and at the time I would have sooner forced angry wasps up my own arse than PTF!!! In the following 2 years I have had one telephone interview and one face to face interview and sim assessment but no job. My frustration has allowed my view of PTF to change, these days I would rather just force a slightly upset butterfly up my own arse than PTF. In my situation I was fairly lucky as I had a Plan B, before I trained I was an aircraft engineer so I have been doing some well paid contract engineering work lately and, after tax I have just about made back all the money that I spent on training and I have never been in debt and anytime soon my wife might start talking nicely to me again!!!

There will be a lot of people who will come on here and give their opinion but the final choice has to be down to you. Investigate the J Curd course and the courses offered by plenty of other PTF companies, do some serious soul searching, plan for the worst and hope for the best. I sincerely wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do.

Take it easy, keep smiling and stay safe.

Cheers

MM