PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 24th Mar 2010, 23:22
Newyorker001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to thank all the crew who have made what must have been a very hard decision and back BA. I can assure you that customers and the rest of the airline appreciate it.

In my role I get to speak to a lot of passangers and also a lot of the trade, most just do not see where this has come from. Most are actually confused as to why so many have voted yes. Even the senior people that I speak to within the trade just do not get it, most have looked at the initail offer and just said Why !!!

With regards of the Forum question BASSA vs BA

BASSA have shown themselves to be a spent force, this is the reason why they use the personal attacks, bullying, harrasment and childish aruments. Even from BASSA Im yet to hear a valid reasoned proposal (argument) why they feel the need to strike. Nearly all communication is aimed at a very personal, very childish level and never clear on actual facts that can be backed up. The last email posted on this email sums up the difference in the two sides, why would a union wait until after the strike to check with their lawyers on something that has been stated time and time again will happen.

BA on the other hand where possible have stated the facts and not lowered themselves to the he said she said school ground tactics of BASSA. All the way through WW has stated what will happen, when it will happen and what the consequences of any action will be. So far its only BA that have been 100% accurate at predicting the future as thay have stuck to their word.

Im sort of new in BA 11 years, so Im sort of led to believe that usually what would happen is that BA would suggest something.. BASSA would then usually say no and threaten strike action... this would go on for a while and then BA would give in... Im sorry but WW is not that sort of CEO, anyone would easily be able to see that he is here for the long term, has a plan backed 100% by the board and will see this through. Sorry to go back but just thought another thing that would usually happen is that BA would usually not have a clue on how to plan something like they have now and the terminals would usually be in chaos.. Well this time there is a plan, which is working, as WW is aware of what needs doing and gets on and does it.

As he stated in his forum today ST is not for neotiation at all.. I think there were a few people clapping after this. For the radio 5 argument I think waht summed it up is the bit where the CSD was quite for a while as the penny dropped...

Reading through this thread and I may be wide of the mark as Im not involved with the delights of working onboard.. But it seems to me that in a strange way the strike has actually brought the company together... Is this true onboard?

I was flying the other week and as usual went and chatted to the crew and to say Thank You. I was a touch apprehensive of this due to it being the day after the strike announcement but I always say Thanks when the service has been so good. Chatting to a member of crew we exchanged the usual polite conversation and then he asked me where I worked(deep breath and waited to be asked what my preference of coffee was) waterside... He just opened up and explained how he used to be so pro bassa, part of the Galley FM brigade and hated his job. After the court case he decided to do a bit more looking and then resigned from BASSA as he could not belive how he was being represented and misled by texts and emails. Now he loves his job again as he feels he does not have the burden of all the negativity of WW will do this and BF said that. His last sentance to me was 20 odd years ive been here loved the first 10 hated the next how ever many and since Ive stopped listening to the muppet show its like my first day back at work...

Keep up the good work everyone