PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Assumed Temp Thrust Reduction - yes, again!
Old 24th Mar 2010, 19:25
StatorVane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening Half Cuban,

I see what you're saying but I have this image in my mind of a case where we have a genuinley hotter day and where every ounce of performance is needed as opposed to engine life considerations. Are we saying that the engine will develop a "user defined" thrust if told that the temperature is hotter - or - will the engine still deliver 100% of all it can given the requirements for full performance. I am remebreing that the hotter ambient temperature will affect a/c aerodynamic as well as engine output performance.

Put another way, lets say we tell the engine its hotter out there when its actually cooler - as is the case with assumed temp reductions. I must be wrong in thinking that the engine will still try to achieve 100% of the 20,000lbs, although it knows it won't beacuse we just told it the temp was hotter, but we're in for a surprise when it actually does because it's cooler??

I get the bit about flex and logically thinking any throttled-back settings ought to produce a corresponding throttled-back performance. I just don't get the bit about assuming a higher temperature when the engine would try to offset that as much as it could.