PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Telephoto lens - Stabilised or not?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 18:34
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BB
Warch out for IS (Image Stabilisation).

It should be called CS. Camera Stabilisation.

Nope its Image Stabilisation in the Canon range and works in the lens' not the camera body. Some Canon EF lenses incorporate an image stabiliser to prevent camera shake from spoiling the shot. This is particularly useful on close-ups or at slow shutter speeds, in situations where a tripod camera cannot be used. Optical shake is detected by gyro sensors which provide data to neutralise the shake.

BB
It only works if you are trying to hold the camera still.

If you use it when panning, it actually makes your pix worse!

This is rubbish, neither statement is true, though it may be if specifically applied to Olympus products.

BB
Also, at higher shutter speeds, the IS has insufficient time to operate. I use Olympus stuff and at speeds of 1/1000 sec. or better, IS is no help at all.

I've learned this info in the hardest possible way

If you bought Olympus then yes, unfortunately you did learn the hard way, the same refers to the earlier comments regarding Olympus glass being arguably the best, it'd be a short argument as it isn't. Canon and Nikon have rightly got a significant part of the market for these types of cameras and lens' as their IS and higher end DSLR's are by far the better performers. This is why most of the serious amateurs, semi pro and pro snappers use them, they get results. This has been the case for many years back into the 35mm days.

MAN777 has provided some good tips, I'd throw in another, look for a higher spec lens second hand from a good shop like Mifsuds ( no connection, satisfied punter). With clever buying you can get far more bang for your buck.