PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 14:17
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the chapter AoA versus the lower range of speed/Mach at high level, there have been already some divergent opinions. But I came across some interesting piece of information by the manufacturer :

FCOM 3
SUPPLEMENTARY TECHNIQUES
FLIGHT CONTROLS
STALL PROTECTION

We might now agree that the AoA figures produced by HN39 in his earlier post are pretty much in the ball park, and that anything above 5 degrees of pitch attitude for a level flight is highly suspicious …

This leads me to think that the MEMORY ITEM which request to take 5 degrees up and CLB thrust in case of UNRELIABLE SPEED INDICATION is not adapted therefore not applicable for a high level situation.

Definitely, such event should be trained in the simulator, and a concise and adapted procedure should be put in place.
Another big question mark is how the protections could come into play and eventually interfere in the overall process ... The scenarios are multiple and some are scary. Airbus is absolutely silent on that matter.

I’m not too surprised that very early after June the first, the main idea of the monster thunderstorm has been widely and conveniently disseminated, enough that people take it for granted :
Originally Posted by Smilin_Ed
In any event, whether a direct reading AoA gauge would have saved AF447 remains to be seen, but when you get right down to it, they broke one basic rule, "Never, ever fly through a thunderstorm!"