PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Approaches & Departures
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2002, 09:42
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LnS,

I have conquered my fear of that r/way in NORFOLK! (Well I used it once and it wasn't as bad as I'd led myself to think it could be! Landing was more than acceptable as well.)

My favourites:

Walkers Cay in the Bahamas - the runway undershoot is the sea and last time I was there they'd bulldozed all the wrecked airframes to one side... certainly attention getting!

Nelspruit, RSA. it is like landing on an aircraft carrier and surrounded by steep hills (not so bad now but years ago it was a challenge, esp. as it is quite hot and high!) Once had to go around in a Seneca I there and lost the left engine as I was late downwind. Had I lost that donkey on the climb out or on x-wind I may well not have been here today! A very old chum of mine wrapped a Comanche up into a ball there in the sixties.

A private strip just north of Colchester - dogleg approach to avoid overflying the neighbours, watch out for the 'lecky cables, through the 50' gap in the trees and keep it straight on roll-out as there are wire fences at each side of the strip. If you need to go around decide early as there is a perpendicular row of pylons on the overshoot.

All good fun!

Stik