PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 24th Mar 2010, 11:04
1stClass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To strike or not to strike?

Well, I have been following this thread and various others on cf (although I don't post there because it can be hard as they are all pro-strike) and I have to say I am seeing things from both sides of the argument make sense.

To me, last weekend was something I thought was never going to happen but it did. I was off work so I didn't have to make a decision if to strike. However, I am in on day 1 of strike this weekend and I am scared to say the least. I have no idea what to do and I am a unite member (considering resigning) but I voted No! Why? Because I didn't feel I could strike over one person being taken off to LGW crewing levels and it didn't make sense to me. I know all the BASSA crew will be screaming 'it is about imposition not just that', but surely even they can see that BA had to impose because BASSA was no good in the negotiation stage.

Why am I scared to go to work? Well, I know for sure that I don't want to strike, because I voted no, but I also don't want to work because I am scared of having to work with these people in the future. I have heard them saying that they won't talk to scabs downroute in the bar or that we should be first onto new fleet because we are scabs. It is such a vile situation and it breaks my heart to think that I will be driving into work Sat and still not knowing if I should turn around and drive home from a job I love and want to do. No one can make that decision but me, I know that. However, it really makes me feel ill.

I can see that they are worried about their future with BA but if BASSA had been doing what they should have in the talks then they could of negotiated new fleet away and our jobs would be secure. I feel bad seeing them out in the rain on picket lines doing what they think is right but can't help thinking they been lead up the wrong path. I know this isn't a reason for me to strike but my head hurts with all the mind changing I've been doing this past week