Old 24th Mar 2010, 09:00
happyguy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I did quite a bit of work to prepare for stage 2 and 3:

- re-read the job knowledge information book they sent me for stage 1
- studied my notes for principles of flight and performance from my CPL
- read my CPL meteorology book again
- read a book called handling the big jets
- prepared a list of about 140 questions I thought they might ask and how I would like to answer them
- had simulated interviews each about 1 - 2 hours going over the above mentioned questions, every night for two weeks before my stage 2 interview
- studied Cathay Pacific's website - fleet, destinations, visions, history, etc
- studied Flight Training Adelaide's website
- looked at Hong Kong's immigration website
- read a few articles on Cathay Pacific from Australian Aviation
- on the plane to HK, studied using Studio CX, all info about Cathay and HK on their entertainment system
- practiced maths reasoning tests you can find all over the internet

Cathay Pacific did fly me to Hong Kong and put me up in the Headland Hotel which is next door to Cathay Pacific City. All at their expense. I was fiscally responsible for flying to a Cathay Serviced Airport and paying for my meals while in HK.

It seems to me that preparation is a key factor to stand out in the interviews. There was one guy in Hong Kong with us who wasn't invited to continue with stage 3. After talking to him it seemed to me he hadn't really prepared himself, as though he could just wing it. He said one of the questions asked of him was how would he deal with a situation where his girlfriend/partner wanted to leave HK. He simply replied that he would ditch her. I don't know how this went down with his interviewers; treating people in such a way doesn't seem an admirable quality to me.

I am still in line for the final stage 4 interviews. They are currently sorting out whether or not they are able to offer a short course since I have a couple hundred flying hours. They haven't yet invited me for stage 4 but have told me I was successful in stage 3 and I will hear from them soon.

Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy99; 14th Jan 2011 at 08:42.