PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclic and Collective Update
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 06:44
rotorfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn, I have The Art... and read it long before starting heli training. Haven't read C and C, will have to get it.

For the instructor's book, I have a suggestion that might be more important for low-time FIs, but perhaps useful to all. When I started heli training, I was a 20-year stuck-wing pilot. I was paired with a brand-new 200 hr. CFI fresh from school, no airplane background. I was his first stude. Besides having airplane instincts, I was also an experienced motorcyclist. Know where this is going? I never tried to push over hard (an airplane instinct to avoid a stall) only because I read enough to understand that could be deadly in our R22. But, in hindsight, my instructor wasn't smart enough to guard against it. I could have killed us easily. I've also twisted the throttle the wrong way a couple of times. I don't think about it on a bike, but I force myself to think about it in the aircraft. So, for instructors that are transitioning a plank driver, I think they have to be more careful than training a student that knows nothing and hasn't developed anti-helicopter habits.