PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 04:38
HKAforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we did managed a pay raise. The reason and effort involved I will not diverge, but are we satisfied? Of course not. But, it's a start.

I notice some here are wondering why HKA is still in business. Let me explain. How the company treat it's employees does not equal how it can sustain a profit (or losses). The company is pefectly willing to cut costs to the bones if it means it can squeeze out more profit (or balance the books). That is why HKA can still be running even as it treat it's employees poorly. They run a business to benefit the shareholders and the owners, not their employees, and certainly not the pilots. Is this a healthy way of managing a company long-term? Perhaps not, but the point is, poor treatment of employees does not equal a company going under...yet.

Now you may wonder about a little issue called safety and staff morale. Won't pilots having difficulties in distinguishing a taxiway from a runway impact on the long-term viability of HKA? Well, HKA is willing to dance close to the edge, but they know when to jump back in time. The question is will they jump back in time the next time?

I will use an absurd analogy. Suppose HKA management is a hijacker. He is pointing a gun to your head and ordering you to fly into some really ultra-nasty looking supercell CB. Why? Because it will get to the hijacker's destination in a quicker time. The turbulence is more then extreme and there is a chance it will destroy the aircraft. But the chance of surviving it is bigger, so you are forced to comply. Having arrived at the destination safely despite a few "bruises" on the plane, the hijacker then do it again in hope of repeating the time saving. The question is, will the hijacker be so lucky the next time?

Last edited by HKAforever; 24th Mar 2010 at 04:50.