PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - were any big radials reliable
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 02:25
privateer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R2800's were my favorite from a pilot and mechanic standpoint.

I've never so much as blown a jug on the 2800....course some of that has to be luck of the draw. We also never had the two speed blowers.

Now the 1830....I've shut down 8 engines for various reasons (blown jugs etc) all ran again without removal from the airframe.

The 1820-80.....well 16 shutdowns over the years....none of which ever ran again without overhaul. There aways seemed to be a disproportionate chance the master rod would get lunched during the ensuing carnage.

1820-80B, and -86 had scavage oil filtering and were a bit better in this regard.

In fairness....2 of the 1820 failures were the same engine and were traced to overhaul shops failure to assemble the crankcase and accessory housing and line bore the supercharger bearing area before bearing installation. Result was a busted blower shaft and no boost....

I'd love to rehash the extremes some operations went to to increase engine longetivity........Snake oil, voodoo, virgin sacrifice, Magneto retardation, etc... all tried....some successfully some not.

Lets hear yoru favorite.