PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trained in Florida in Feb/March 2010
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2010, 01:50
XLC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trained in Florida in Feb/March 2010

I just came back from a JAA PPL training in Fort Pierce, Florida. As I never went to any other school it is not possible for me to compare. Hence this post is only about this writer's experience at EFT. For more detailed information about training in the US in general read the posts of Backpacker and Destinationsky about the same topic and you will have a better idea. (links at the bottom of this post)

Overall the experience has been positive, and I am pleased with the choice. The accommodation I was given was of a good quality/price ratio, all instructors were always ready to assist, the general mood is professional and warm.
A lot of the students go to the European Flight Training to study for CPL, CFI or ATPL , yet there are students from all walks of life and every age-group, and everybody has to start w/ a PPL anyway. So there is no 'whatyoudo'-type of discrimination at all. Most go there to pass, so I would say the mood is rather studious and individualistic.

The biggest drawback was the weather ; I arrived on the 9th of Feb when Washington was halted because of their second snowstorm in a week. So the TSA did not process any fingerprints and I was only cleared to start the training 10 days after the arrival! So even though in 'normal' conditions the process should be quite fast it is worth the money to get a TSA before you go. And once the training did start there were a few days when the wind was not ideal for a beginner's level, especially during mid-day.
The second drawback is that the school is popular. The occupancy rate is high, which means that if you miss your slot (weather, sickness) it is difficult to catch up and you might have to extend your stay.

So, overall the training was completed in 22 days of flying, out of being 38 days at the school. 10 days were lost because of the TSA and 6 because of either the weather or the compulsory rest-day of the instructor. Backpacker and Destinationsky have both completed their training in, I think, 22 days. It is indeed possible and probably more so in Oct~Nov. But I would anyway recommend to take some buffer, just in case.

Would I go back? Yes. Any regret? No. Would I consider them for further training? Most likely as I am a European national, currently residing in Hong Kong and there are only few other options in the same price/time range.

Just FYI.

Destinationsky's:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...nest-view.html

Backpacker's:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...-part-1-a.html