PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 20:38
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glamgirl neither you nor your new organisation are going to win that many supporters by being so obviously delighted in punishment meted out to your fellow crew members. By all means have a differing view point but do it with tact and diplomacy. There may come a time when you have a real battle with WW and I hope you're up to the task.
Oldbird - you have levelled quite a harsh criticism at a colleague - yet fail to quote where you feel that has been stated. Having read Glamgirl's post again, I fail to see any "obvious delight in punishment meted out to your fellow crew members". Can you please quote which part prompted you to write that?

I also would like to address the complete fallacy that just because people do not support this current strike situation, they or any new organisation would be unable to challenge the management. That is rubbish.

The best way to get what you want, as you yourself have stated, is through tact and diplomacy. That is what the Professional Cabin Crew Council are proposing to do in the future. Where is the tact and diplomacy offered by Unite? I have never, ever in my entire long career in BA seen "tact and diplomacy" with Unite. I have, it has to be said, also seen management come and go within BA that have lacked "tact and diplomacy".

But this situation has been handled by the current management with complete regard for the current crew's position. "Minimise the impact on current crew" is a phrase we have heard more times than we care to remember now. Why is it so frowned upon to recognise and acknowledge that management have looked after our interests? Is it just a case of crew being so used to management not respecting their interests, as in the past, that they actually cannot now accept one that does?

Oldbird, I don't know if you flew (pun intended) at the weekend, but the atmosphere was tangible. People were very pleased to be there, very happy to have made their own choice, and it was extremely liberating. Ironically everyone was talking about the same thing - the strike. But for the first time in a zillion trillion years it was not management bashing, but people were quite literally saying that "BASSA has let everyone down." Most people were phoning and texting friends telling them "It's ok to come in to work". People were most definitely looking out for each other, whichever side of the fence they were on.

It is a sad day indeed when everyone is literally sick to their stomach about going to work in a job they love. There is only one cause to all of this. BASSA.