PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSA Luggage inspections in the USA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 17:45
nicolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fincastle84
Whilst unpacking one of the suitcases Mel found a note from the TSA informing us that the bag had been opened & the contents inspected. Everything had been neatly replaced.

I'm publishing this as a warning to those who may not be aware that the TSA have the right to act in this way or who haven't fitted TSA approved locks.
Also carry a spare such lock. I have had the TSA open my has-TSA-backdoor locks (padlock style) many times, but recently they (or, I suppose, baggage handlers, but I suspect TSA (Tucson airport, KTUS)) managed to either break it or fail to reattach it, so my bag arrived unlocked at destination and I was unable to lock it for the rest of my flights on that itinerary until I got home. I'm not overly impressed about that.

As to style of lock, some have an indicator to show if the TSA key was used to open them or the main key or combination, which allows me to see how often the TSA key is being used.

Last edited by nicolai; 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:47. Reason: Clarify KTUS only got my bag once