PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 16:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newspapers today

Interesting pieces in todays Newspapers...
From The Times
Brendan Barber, General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress, is expected to intervene today, urging both sides to return to the negotiating table. A negotiated settlement would have to include assurances that existing cabin crew could continue to work on their current long-haul routes, which offer generous allowances to bolster basic pay. Also, their rest days would have to be protected, Unite national officers be given a formal role in the company, 38 staff suspended for alleged intimidation be reinstated, travel discounts be returned to strikers and an anti-victimisation clause be written into BA contracts.
There is little prospect of Willie Walsh, BA’s chief executive, acquiescing. He is adamant that management has a right to set company policy.

..............And they still have a shopping list !!!!

And from The Daily Mail

At a Unite rally at Heathrow yesterday, the mood was despondent. Many of the mainly female BA cabin crew said they wanted to return to work and added they would not take part in Saturday's strike.
Sue Jones, 42, who has worked at BA for nine years, said: 'We've got our point across and the union even wants to get back to the negotiating table. At the end of the day, we know there's got to be cost- cutting, but we just want job protection.'
Another 37-year- old air stewardess, who did not want to be identified, said: 'Of course I want to be back in work and, to be honest, I don't think there will be more strikes on Saturday
'I'm just glad to have a job. By striking there's less of a chance that my job will be there in the future. I will definitely be back working if the strikes continue.'
The scale of the strike-breaking cheered the City, which had been watching the action nervously.

Read more: British Airways strike: Cabin crews lose will to fight | Mail Online