PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 15:57
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just back from the weekend. Our LGW report centre has been full of crew, managers, pilots and colleagues from other departments. The atmosphere was great. Sure enough, it wasn't a party, but everybody wanted to pull together and make it work.

Our customers were happy and understanding. They were also surprised (in a good way) that they got the full BA service on the flight (Long haul).

The picket line at the South Terminal roundabout didn't look like much, to be honest. A few drab flags and even less people who looked like they were cold and wet.

The union has issued some outrageous statements, claims and rumours over the last few days (nothing new there...). Most of them have been mentioned here already, so I won't go too much into them, except that the union is obviously lying. Also, interestingly enough, most reps were on either long-term sick or annual leave at the weekend (not forgetting that a fair few are suspended as well). Read that whichever way you want, but to me, it's obvious that they're protecting themselves from the loss of ST and potential diciplinaries. Interestingly enough, it seems that two reps from the union resigned before the weekend. Allegedly, of course.

I don't know what is happening with the strikers this week. I wish I knew, but I'm not going to make something up. I personally think that more crew will turn up for work this coming weekend.

What I do have to say though, is that looking at pictures and film clips from the pickets, I'm pretty disgusted with the striker's behaviour. T-shirts with WW made to look like Hitler, pig masks, devil masks, underwear on a washing line, boo-ing aircraft and not forgetting: Bringing children to the pickets. Seriously, there is no way I would bring my children to such a place with such an atmosphere. I can only imagine the language around the pickets and that's something I wouldn't want to expose my kids to. At least these parents should have the decency and common sense to get a childminder.

I will be working at the weekend, as will many of my colleagues. I will wear my uniform with pride, as I know I'm doing the right thing.

For those still wavering, please don't listen to rumours, whether they're about LGW being closed/sold off or that strikers will be on NF by checking in to CRC/JH. They are simply rumours and have no substance.

In my eyes, the union is desperate now. Why else would they be sending text messages, emails etc every couple of hours? Why does TW keep appealing to whoever he can think of to get WW to negotiate?

I want nothing more that for this situation to be resolved. However, I don't see WW backing down, which is good. Why do I say that? Reason being that if (and it's a big if) WW backed down, the union would think they'd won and continue to throw their toys out of the pram at the mere hint of a change within IFCE. Customers would continue to leave us, due to the potential unrest (a bit like a dormant volcano), and what do we have without the customers? Exactly - no airline.

Gg

These are my opinions and not those of my employer