PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 14:56
Flying Icecream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I well remember the Vulcan detachments to VL (Yeovilton) in the mid-60s. One always knew when something was "up" when the Beverleys and Hastings appeared. At that time,the RAF personnel would be billeted in their own secure & self-contained camp,on the far side of the airfield,and therefore some distance from not only the main accomodation site,but the airfield "Technical Site" as well. I knew the RAF Corporal who was permanently based at Yeovilton,to look after the RAF accomodation,as he was,like me,a "folk-singer",and performed locally as half of "Terry & Alan" ; Alan was the Corporal,Terry was a Lt/Commander (test pilot !!).
The (2) Vulcans had a dispersal very close to the threshold of 09, and seemed to get airborne pretty niftily ,following a firework display from the balcony under the VCP ! At one time,it was my lot to help to lovingly tend to the many needs of our Marconi 264,which lived in a field nearby; in order to get there,of course,we had to drive past 09 threshold,and were always stopped,searched etc.,by very zealous-looking chaps with doggies,Sterling SMGs ,etc, which was always JOLLY INCONVENIENT !! We used to argue that,in order for us to be a Master Diversion Airfield in the first place,the needs of the 264 (which was later written-off by a herd of cows whilst ...um....I was on weekend Radar Watch in ...um...the Tower,but that's another story !) took precedence,but we soon learned that you can't argue with a Rock Ape !