PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 13:55
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
learner001 said the following about zero-thrust and flight-idle:

Two totally different worlds...

With (if not prepared, unexpected...) totally different (flight) characteristics...
There is a third regime, and that is: windmilling-prop. In terms of flight characteristics, this one is like a more extreme version of flight-idle.

I made the statement, many posts ago, that no twin can climb with one prop windmilling. (Windmilling means that NTS systems are not operating).

The drag is so prohibitive that descent is the only possible mode of steady state flight. This means that, if you try to maintain level flight, you will soon lose control.

Of course, several posters disputed this statement. t303 was one, but he thinks zero-thrust is the same as windmilling.

Hugh Jarse said "Absolutely INCORRECT!" and made some references to training exercises in the DHC8 simulator (with autofeather configured). Not sure what exactly you were saying about those exercises, wrt to autofeather and whether the prop feathered - but a feathered prop (or a prop getting NTS treatment) is not a windmilling prop.

I remember reading about a loss of control and near accident in a DHC8 that had an engine failure during the departure phase from an airport in Europe. The prop was never feathered. One of the recommendations from the safety authorities was to remind pilots of the importance of feathering. I will try to find a link to that incident.

The only things I know about the TAMAIR accident is from what I have read here. I speed-read the Prestwick J32 accident report.

The implication in both of these cases is that flight-idle was set - and not zero-thrust.

If that was true - then think about how much more extreme windmilling is than flight-idle! Then you may see why I say that no twin can climb with one prop windmilling.